Statement of the Director
Dear festival visitors, dear festival family,
Thank you very much for your many phone calls, e-mails and letters in which you have expressed your solidarity with us over the past weeks. These days we are once again experiencing how big and strong our festival family is.
Like you, we have been looking with concern at the spread of the corona virus over the recent months. Since 7 May 2020, we have now been certain that the Festival Summer 2020 will not be able to take place as planned up to and including 31 August 2020, due to official restrictions to limit the corona pandemic. This hits us all hard. With this message, we would like to inform you how you can now proceed with your concert tickets and what is going to happen to the concerts in the Festival Summer 2020.
We will start by giving one important message. The Summer Festival of the Festspiele Mecklenburg-Vorpommern will take place in 2020 – only in a different way and under different circumstances. We will not let this year's festival season simply disappear without any ado. We are intensively discussing new concert ideas for pandemic-compatible events.
Against this background, we have decided on three content-related measures:
1. For the first time in the history of the Festspiele Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, there will be a winter festival. We have succeeded in attracting prominent artists of the summer festival. For example, concerts with Martynas Levickis, Rudolf Buchbinder, Götz Alsmann and Iveta Apkalna, among others, will expand the already existing Advent concerts to form a new pillar in the festival year, which is planned under pandemic conditions.
2. On the opening weekend of the originally planned festival summer, we will make a digital festival weekend available free of charge to all festival visitors and other interested parties – with live concerts, greetings from our festival prizewinners, discussions and film and concert recordings from the treasures of the festival archive. This is the first time that the festival summer has become a "internet festival summer" (#netzspielsommer).
3. On the occasion of the 30th anniversary of the Festspiele Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, we want to give something back to the festival family: With the alternative programme "30 – mal anders" (30 times different), we will create events this summer in consultation with the health authorities, bringing culture to the region wherever possible.
We would like to invite you to this premiere of the #netzspielsommer 2020 on June 13 and 14 2020 as well as to the concerts of the Festival Winter. You will soon receive further information on all these events and digital offerings.
Please note: For concerts scheduled after August 31st and up to and including September 12th, decisions will be made by July 31st, depending on how the situation evolves. Until then, the concerts after August 31st will continue to be prepared by us and will take place as things stand today.
What happens to concert tickets already purchased for the Festival Summer 2020?
We have succeeded in finding new dates for selected events so that we can make up for these concerts in the same format a year later. These arrangements include the Kinder und Familienfest (originally planned for 14 June), the concert with Ulrich Tukur (3 July), the concert with Ute Lemper (11 July), the Detect Classic Festival (31 July - 2 August) and the Kleines Fest im großen Park (7 & 8 August). Tickets already purchased for such events remain valid. The new dates can be found here.
We offer you three options for the refund of tickets for the cancelled concerts:
1. You can have your tickets converted into a voucher
2. If you would prefer to have part of the ticket price refunded and at the same time make an important contribution to the preservation of the Festspiele Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, then you can decide to make a donation. In this second model, you can donate at least 25 percent of the net ticket price, receive a deductible donation receipt in return and the remaining amount is refunded simply by bank transfer. Of course, we would be particularly pleased to receive a donation in full. As Festspiele Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, we recommend you to choose this option. A voucher only postpones the financial problem that threatens our existence by one year. With a donation – however significant it may be – you actively participate in the preservation of the Festspiele and are completely free to choose your festival concerts in 2021.
3. In these times of economic uncertainty, which are also uncertain for you, we offer you a full refund of the net ticket price. We are convinced that we must meet each other as a community in order to survive this crisis together.
You can find all information about the return process here.
The Corona crisis has shaken the Festspiele Mecklenburg-Vorpommern with its budget, which is over 90 percent privately funded. We firmly believe that the Festspiele Mecklenburg-Vorpommern will continue to exist after the Corona crisis. However, we will only succeed in doing so if the festival family is now moving closer together. Despite a spending freeze, despite furloughing work for all festival employees, despite a reduction in expenses due to the cancellation of many concerts, a financial gap of one million Euros remains - please participate in the private rescue fund for the Festspiele Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.
We sincerely hope that we have found a good solution with our approach, that you will continue to support us on our way. The entire team of the Festspiele Mecklenburg-Vorpommern says: "Thank you from the bottom of our heart!”
Dr. Markus Fein
Director of the Festspiele Mecklenburg-Vorpommern